Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Sunday, January 8, 2023

We Need to Bring Back the New Year's Eve Pelican Drop to Pensacola!

 

The Red Clay Strays put on an AMAZING performance at this year's "Moon Pies over Mobile" New Year's Eve event--but why didn't Pensacola have an event for our community and for visitors to our area?

After having attended the Mobile, Alabama "Moon Pie Drop" for New Year's Eve last week--I naturally wanted to ask about why we stopped doing the "Pelican Drop" in downtown Pensacola yearly for New Years..

Because over the years I have attended numerous "Pelican Drop" NYE events in Downtown Pensacola.

I've seen great bands right here downtown, including Andy Grammer and The Band Perry.

And I enjoyed them.  

So let's bring them back!  Let's do it here in Pensacola! That was what I said at last week's meeting, and it was picked up by the media and so far most with whom I have spoken agree:  We need to bring back the Pelican Drop.

Full disclosure though--I attended Mobile's event and my wife Sally and I had a blast!  It was great, we had front row seats to great shows by the Red Clay Strays and Third Eye Blind.  We had great meals, a great hotel, a fun night, a great breakfast the next morning--and overall a great time.

But I'd much rather spend my money in Pensacola than Mobile.  And I know we can do it better locally (even though the MPD had a HUGE presence at the Mobile event)--with fewer fights and certainly no mass shootings.  


3rd Eye Blind lead singer Steven Jenkins addressed the Mobile, Al crowd at last week's "Moon Pies over Mobile" celebration on New Year's Eve.  He commented on his late plane arrival and also his breakfast earlier that morning at Mobile's "Ruby Slipper" restaurant.  He also commented on his positive experience in the south and in Mobile--stating he was amazed at the great hospitality and warm reception he received.  Shortly after he made these comments, sadly, Downtown Mobile  (two blocks away from the concert) had a mass shooting with 10 shot and one killed.......


So I am going to pledge up to $10,000 dollars from my discretionary funds to ensure we can bring this celebration back to Pensacola.  I'm going to work all year with my counterparts on the board and at the city, as well as the downtown improvement board in order to make this happen.

We will have a celebration in Pensacola to ring in 2024.  That's my prediction.

Because it's ridiculous that we don't do anything for NYE.  

We can, we've proved we can do it well, and we should.  Let's do it here and give folks the opportunity to spend their money here rather than travelling to Mobile or New Orleans--or anywhere else!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great then pay for it.

Jeff Bergosh said...

I'll contribute toward the cost as I said in the post. More importantly--I'll work with others to find additional funding sources so that our event will be one of the best in the region.

Anonymous said...

You’ll contribute? Or you’ll use taxpayer funds and pat yourself on the back?

Jeff Bergosh said...

3:32--I contributed $600 of my own money in Mobile, Alabama, (hotel, meals, travel, beverages, etc.) attending a NYE event there because Pensacola didn't do one here. Believe me, I'd much rather spend my money here in our County than over there--even though I had a great time there and the city of Mobile did a great job with the concerts and artists (too bad there were some bad apples that were not attending but were nearby "wilding" starting fights and shooting people) But other than the mass shooting, and then the dodging fights and gang bangers on the way back to our hotel - yeah we had a good time spending our money and New Year's Eve in Mobile. So to answer your question, yes, I will spend money on the event here! And, I will find an appropriate pot of money from which I will help sponsor an event in Pensacola, in the amount of $10K, to support it. And no, I won't pat myself on the back, but I will lead the effort to bring a safe, crime-free and family friendly event back to Pensacola because I know we can do it better here, and frankly, we should. And we will.

Anonymous said...

$10k is a drop in the bucket. It will cost a minimum of 150-200k for this event. Given at least half of the attendees will be county residents shouldn’t the county pay for at least half?

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1