I brought my own Budget Cutting Ideas into today's special meeting of the Escambia County School Board. I do not like proposing such drastic, painful cuts. However, we are in a budget crisis.
Additional Budget Cut Recommendations. Potential Savings=$13,850,000.00
1. Elimination of District Paid Cellular Telephones for ALL employees. Savings $100K
2. Elimination of local mileage reimbursement for “in county travel.” For ALL employees. Pool district vehicles for use by staff that must travel in county/must travel frequently. Savings $200K
3. All out of county Travel not funded by grants or categorical funds
To be submitted to and approved by vote of school board. Savings Unknown possibly $50K
4. 2% wage concession for ALL employees earning in excess of $38,000.00 but less than $45,000.00 annually. Savings TBD
Est. $1.2 Million
5. 2.5% wage concession for ALL employees earning in excess of
$45,000.00 but less than $52,000.00 Savings TBD Est. $1 Million
6. 3% wage concession for school board members and ALL employees earning in excess of $52,000.00 Savings TBD Est. $800K
7. Amend District school board rules to achieve strict alignment with minimum statutory requirements with respect to transportation of students. Elimination/reduction of courtesy ridership. Savings TBD Est. $1.5 Million
8. No step increases, no pay increases, for any employees for the 2008-2009 school year. Savings TBD Est. $2 Million
9. Closure of Carver/Century Savings $400K
10. Consolidation of Hallmark and Yniestra Savings $400K
11. Compounding of All Busses and District vehicles Savings TBD Est. $1 Million
12. Eliminate Bus Driver Overtime Savings TBD Est.$300-$500K
13. Outsource anywhere it is economically viable to achieve savings
Savings Unknown. Est. $250K
14. Elimination of all summer programs funded by General Fund and not mandated by statute.
Savings Unknown Est. 250K
15. Elimination of an additional 10 Professional/Administrative positions from the Personnel Planning Document
Savings TBD Est. $700K. Superintendent and Staff to choose which ten positions to eliminate, or propose administrative/Professional Salary Wage concessions to equal $700K.
16. Health Care Increased Costs—passed through equally to employees and retirees. Savings TBD. Est. $3 Million
17. Elimination of free dental to families. Offer Delta Dental to those who want to upgrade at their own expense.
Savings TBD Est. $500K.
I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory.