I am posting these minutes to expedite information dissemination. Much more complete and detailed minutes will be posted in 4-6 weeks on the school district’s website. In the mean time, these minutes are what I feel were the big “takeaways”, a macro look at my impression of the meeting. These are condensed, abbreviated, shortened, and to the point.
Meeting convened at 5:32 PM
All Board Members and Superintendent Malcolm Thomas present.
Pledge of Allegiance led by Oak crest Elementary Student Kiera Reiser
PTA Presentation—given by Cindy Gerhardt
Stellar Employee Recognition—Nancy Spindler, 26 year employee of the district, currently route manager supervisor in the transportation department.
Public Forum: 8 Speakers Total
1 Speaker wanted her son’s suspension from Pine Forest High to be investigated.
7 Speakers wanted the board to keep Carver Century K-8 open
1. Revisions to School District Chapter 2, Human Resources Services, approved for adoption by 5-0 vote.
2. Revisions to School District Chapter 7, Student Affairs, approved for adoption by 5-0 vote.
3. Revisions to School District Chapter 5, Business Services, approved for adoption by 5-0 vote.
4. Revisions to School District Rule 6Gx17-7.09, Student Progression Plan, approved for adoption by 5-0 vote.
Permission to advertise rules for adoption:
1. Notice of 2009 Annual Rules Review and Policy Development of the Rules and Procedures of the Escambia County, Florida Scholl District approved for advertisement by 5-0 vote
2. Notice of intent to Modify, Change, and/or Delete School Attendance Zone Boundaries, approved by a 3-2 vote. Advertising closure of Carver-Century K-8 School.
Mr. Slayton and Mrs. Moultrie voted “no”.
3 sets of December Board Meeting Minutes Approved
Entire Consent Agenda Approved unanimously, via 5-0 vote.
All Curriculum items approved
All Finance items approved
All Purchasing items approved
All Operations items approved
(Entire Consent Agenda was meticulously covered and discussed at length during two thorough school board workshops held during the early afternoon of 1/15/2009, and the morning of 1/16/2009)
Board voted unanimously, 5-0, to accept the superintendent’s recommendation regarding the following:
5 Students Expelled
2 Students returned to regular classes because the hearing officer found that the district had not proved its case that these two particular students had razor blades in their possession at school
2 Students suspended pending conclusion of criminal charges.
Student infractions included:
2 for possession of razor blades
2 for felony burglary off-campus with adverse impact
4 for possession of knives
1 for possession of drugs (concerta) on school property
Two employees reinstated with back pay.
--One in accordance with an order of the First District Court of Appeals, case number 1D07-4826
--One because the State Attorney dropped charges against this individual.
Meeting adjourned at 6:49PM.
I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory.