Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Monday, March 19, 2018

Here is the Current Status of the Mediation Agreement between the BCC and ECSO



This entire weekend people have been calling me and asking me "What is the status of the agreement with the ECSO"

Channel three called on Saturday and Sunday.  I stated what I know, which is still all I know today outside of rumors, innuendo, and media speculation based upon snippets of an alleged memo from Eric Haines.  What I know on the timeline and status of this matter is as follows:

On Friday, March 9th, I participated in an all day mediation with other BCC reps and Chief Deputy Haines and Gerry Champaign from ECSO.

The end of that process culminated in a signed mediation agreement that day, on Friday, March 9th 2018.  That session ended with nobody asking the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Saturday 3-10-18 came and went, no questions, comments, concerns from ECSO, and no request for the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Sunday 3-11-18 came and went, no questions, comments, concerns from ECSO, and no request for the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Monday 3-12-18 came and went, no questions, comments, concerns from ECSO, and no request for the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Tuesday 3-13-2018 came and went, no questions, comments, concerns from ECSO, and no request for the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Wednesday 3-14-2018 came and went, no questions, comments, concerns from ECSO, and no request for the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Thursday 3-15-2018  The BCC votes to affirm the negotiated, signed mediation agreement via a very heated, contentious 3-2 vote.  A press release is written, media announces the breakthrough, no questions, comments, concerns from ECSO, No press release from ECSO, no videos, no nothing. and no request for the mediator to come back, no mention of any additional problems or concerns.

Friday 3-16-2018  BCC attorneys and staff draft an interlocal agreement based strictly upon the agreed upon and signed mediation settlement agreement and send it to Sheriff Morgan's attorney, where to the best of my knowledge it is given to the sheriff and sits on his desk awaiting his signature and action.  (Late Friday afternoon I requested and received confirmation that the Interlocal was sent to Gerry Champaign, General Counsel for ECSO)  Late Friday afternoon, I also was told there were some concerns being expressed by the ECSO--however I went into the weekend with no indication the ECSO would not honor the written, signed mediation agreement.  Nor was I EVER Told that the Sheriff had unilaterally decided to not honor this agreement.

Saturday--I was told by Ch. 3 reporter Jamarlo Phillips that a memo had been circulated within the ECSO stating "mediation has failed" to which I replied that information is not accurate.  "Mediation succeeded, see the written agreement" I told him.  I then continued "The signed mediation agreement is a fair compromise and so far as I know right now we are moving forward, and I believe any statement at this point on this issue needs to come first from the sheriff"

On Sunday--I was called by Jamarlo Phillips and again he stated that a memo had been circulated within the ECSO stating "mediation has failed"  He asked if I wanted to appear on camera and give a statement, to which I said no thank you.  I told him "any statement at this point on this issue needs to come first from the sheriff"

So here we are at 5:00 AM Monday Morning--and the media has run reports inaccurately stating mediation "failed." Mediation did not fail, it succeeded as designed, the interlocal agreement is now on the Sheriff's desk, awaiting his action.  That is the status as of right now, to the best of my knowledge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Your report straight from the Chairman of the Board is very valuable. It takes a while to see which source of information to trust. I put my trust here.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1