Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Thursday, July 26, 2018

Marbles in Jars

Moving the marbles from a full jar to an empty jar over time can represent many things, more than just the finite number of years of life a person has...

As I was thinking about some upcoming decisions I will be making as it pertains to my job as a County Commissioner, I thought of a parable I once heard about marbles in jars and how that relates to years of life.  I also thought about how this metaphor could represent decision making as an elected official, a county commissioner.

MARBLES IN JARS REPRESENTING YEARS OF LIFE

As this well-known parable goes, an elderly man stands before a table with two jars.  One Jar is nearly empty and one is almost full.  The man is content, he is smiling.  "As I look back on my life, I have a sense of satisfaction that grows with each year." the man states.  "Looking at my life as marbles in these jars,  I started out with one empty jar and one jar with 80 marbles."  "When I turned 30, I had already been through a lot.  I was married, had children, finished my degree, and I began my career.  Life was good and it was in forward motion --I had my whole life ahead of me--so I started out and I moved 30 marbles from the full jar over to the empty one."  "Every year since," he continued  "on my birthday, I've taken one marble from the full jar and moved it over to the empty one.  As the years have passed, and the decades have gone by, the once empty jar is becoming full, and the once full jar is nearly empty."  Smiling broadly, he continues.. " None of us will live forever, so this reminds me visually--these jars remind me--- of my own mortality. This helps me make decisions about time and what is really important in life and what I should spend my time doing" the man reflected.   "And it would be easy to become depressed about this--but I'm not.  I'm grateful for the life I have had, the family and friends I have had, the experiences I've shared, the places I've been--- and because of my faith in God--what the future holds for me once my time here comes to a close."

That parable, as I heard it, struck me on several levels.  Not only does it give me pause for thought about how short life is and how a person should consider decisions carefully--particularly as it relates to spending time with family and deciding what is important--but also as it relates to decision making in my job....

MARBLES IN JARS REPRESENTING DECISION MAKING

In discussing tough votes and tough decisions I have made while serving as both a School Board Member and as a County Commissioner--someone I respect and that I was speaking candidly with recently, a former elected official, said wryly   "What you'll find is that some people you know and some people that like you and that you have assisted in your duties and decisions will be there for you steadfastly."  "10 issues, 15 issues, even 20 different issues--as long as you are able to help them--they are with you and they are loyal"  "But on that 21st issue, that really tricky one, that super-tough issue-- if you are not able to



 do precisely what is requested of you--they will turn their back on you and you will then be their enemy"

It's a very cynical assessment yet I believe it to be true in many cases, unfortunately.  Now, I certainly do not believe it to be true with all people and all constituents--but  I've seen this sort of attitude already on a couple of issues over the past 12 years I've served as a public official.  It is a zero-defect mentality that is out there with some folks that do not compromise. period.

So how does this all relate to the number of marbles in two jars and being a county commissioner?

Well I think a full jar in this context represents supporters and the empty jar represents detractors.  Now, to be accurate, I think when one assumes office, he must move 30% of the marbles from the full jar to the empty jar, and going forward in a term in office the marbles move from the supporters jar to the detractors jar as tough decisions arise and are decided.  As decisions are made, constituencies will be impacted--some positively and some negatively-- and the marbles will move.  Every decision that is important--marbles move.  Impossible decisions that legally cannot be solved or fixed--marbles move.  The decision to end or reduce a popular program to meet budget needs--marbles move.  failure to get funding for the critical infrastructure project--marbles move.  Going against the wishes of the vocal minority, marbles move.

People will tell you.  "If you don't support "X"--I will vote for your opponent in the next election!" I've received this sort of email on various topics over the years.  I'm sure most elected officials have received these.  The critical key is how one reacts to these threats and how the elected official then addresses the issue in question:

Politician--the politician reacts by kowtowing to the loudest voices in the room, voting against commonsense and rational issues to curry favor with opponents of such commonsense items. Politicians will throw support staff under the bus if necessary to shift blame away from themselves. Politicians enjoy long political careers in many instances because they make decisions based upon popularity-thus maximizing the number of marbles in the "supporters" jar, thus bolstering their opportunity for re-election.

Can Kickers--Can Kickers will avoid tough decisions at all costs.  Put off the decisions, demand more studies, blame support staff, request additional information, and avoid tough decisions no matter what in order to not lose marbles to the detractor's jar.  Can kickers will sometimes actually make a controversial vote--but not until such a decision has been studied, analyzed, modified, and scrutinized to the point that upon the time of the actual vote--the relevance of the issue has diminished or even dissipated altogether.  This pause/delay tactic allows the Can-Kicker to maintain the marbles in the supporter jar.

Statesman--The statesman has the shortest lifespan in any political office, often by his own choosing by moving out of an office voluntarily.  The statesman listens to staff but checks and independently verifies the information.  The statesman does his research, learns the issues, listens to all sides of the issues, communicates and telegraphs his stance on tough issues-- and when called upon to do so--makes the tough votes when necessary even when this isolates and/or alienates his supporters (i.e. costing marbles from the supporter jar to the detractor jar)

And the moral of the story is, keeping the marbles in the supporters jar does not equal success in this parable and the constituents that pick the elected officials are the only true judge of whether a current or former official is/was a statesman, politician, or a can kicker.

The End.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am forever thought about this, appreciate it for putting up.

Anonymous said...

Be a Statesman, that does the entire county the most good. Appreciate your back bone, tenacity and intellect, so what if some one disagrees.

You are the elected representative, you have a job to do you will do it well.

Perhaps you will run for reelection and perhaps some may be disgruntled but you know you have some tough decisions to make and will make them.

We aren't under mob rule.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1