Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, August 24, 2018

The Problem With Fake News......

Fake News is destroying the old-guard, fourth estate Journalism Establishment in America including once-respected local news outlets--what a tragedy for a formerly lofty, esteemed, and respected profession....


Everybody hates fake news, and fake news is all around us.

This is why many Americans have tuned out (to a large degree, even if they occasionally watch for entertainment) of watching most big news outlets.

There is bias.

There is selective reporting (or non-reporting depending upon where the outlet "is" on certain social issues, etc.)

Then there is reporting that is sloppy, and most of the time the journalistic integrity necessary to correct bad reporting is absent.  Very few will step up and correct an error.  Why should they, right?  nobody holds them accountable.

Often times, these outlets will double-down on ridiculous stories.  Look at the crazy ridiculous obvious bias in the reporting about President Trump and Russian collusion.  It is a feeding frenzy and established media outlets continue to report on a "push to impeach" for infractions the President allegedly committed that occurred decades ago, before he was president, for which the Constitution does not allow impeachment.  They salivate over collusion, even though there has been not 1 shred of evidence presented that points to collusion between Russia and President Trump.

It is in large part because the media, by and large, hates this President.  They wanted the other candidate.

Locally, we have our own issues.  First, we have a couple of news monopolies.  For the most part the vast majority of Pensacola gets the local written news from the PNJ and the TV news from WEAR.

I have had a good rapport with WEAR--never have had an issue with them or their reporting.

PNJ cycles through reporters on a very frequent basis, and for the most part--I have enjoyed a good rapport with most of these reporters for the 12 years I have been in public office locally.

Now, I have had my ups and downs with the PNJ and some of their former staff.  I'm still here, and the ones that attacked are mostly all gone  now(all but the most talented guy, the cartoonist, and one of the west-side feature writers who I have never met....).  I have worked over the last 5 years or so to really develop a good working relationship with the PNJ.  When they call, I pick up.  I give quotes.  I offer story ideas. I submit editorials.   I am amiable.

But last month, they made an error in the way they portrayed an event.  I don't know why, but they characterized a news conference at a local business as a "campaign event" when it was not a campaign event.  This was sloppy and inaccurate.  There were 50 dignitaries, elected officials, workers, members of the media, and local elected officials at this outstanding event.

As chairman of the board I was invited and asked to speak, which I did.

This was not presented to me as a campaign event, and if it had been, I would not have attended because I serve on the canvassing board and this would not be allowed. I have remained neutral in this campaign despite what some have proclaimed.  I have not actively supported any candidate.

But that's all a moot point because this was not a campaign event.  Not everyone that posed for a group picture supports one of the local candidates for office that was among the attendees.  The Mayor was there in the photo-was he a part of the "campaign event?"  How about dignitaries from Gulf Power and Florida West--are they suddenly in the tank for one candidate because they came to this event like I did and posed for photos?  Of course not.

To draw that conclusion and then publish it--that is disappointing.

If a writer reports the sky is green and falling trees make no sound--does his written account a fact make?  Of course not.

But there are ramifications beyond sloppy journalism.

Now, a couple of citizens have read that sloppy piece of writing and one has filed a specious complaint--they are pointing to this article as "proof" that Jeff Bergosh attended a campaign event.

 This has necessitated that an alternate person sit on the canvassing board  --because I won't return to that post until this bogus complaint is resolved.

Even though I know I have complied with every facet of the law surrounding my participation on the canvassing board, I will not jeopardize the transparency and the perceived integrity of the election by participating until this unfounded complaint is run to ground as I believe it will be in short order.

No harm to me, but other people are now being inconvenienced because a bad story was not corrected.  A popular morning radio host that I spoke with also stated he did not think this event was a campaign event, he said that characterization was puzzling to him...

But now come the cartoons, all apparently because I had the audacious temerity to simply request that that inaccurate portrayal be corrected.

It's okay though, the cartoons don't bother me.  I'll manipulate them to actually make them even better and funnier!

Too bad a funny cartoon can't fix bad journalism....





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the cartoon in the paper, but didn't get it. It wasn't funny and made no sense. I guess I understand it now, but I really like your cartoon better.

Anonymous said...

Very funny. Andy should make a cartoon about Jim Little's man crush on DU.

Anonymous said...

Too bad a funny cartoon can't fix a snotty know it all troublemaker.

Anonymous said...

Marlette should make a cartoon of Underhill looking like an octopus with tentacles in all the social media and news sites trying to control the message and shutting the mouths of anyone who disagrees with him, with a bunch of blind ankle biters doing his bidding.

Anonymous said...

Twinkle twinkle little Jim,
How I wonder what a biased journalist you are,
Up above with a Doug man crush so high,
When you're around him the twinkle is in your eye.

Twinkle twinkle little Jim,
Time to let Gannett rein your man crush in.

Anonymous said...

Come on, you know you support McMillian over Doug. You might not be so overt, but you do. I am a member of Facebook and I saw Doug post against you when you were running for the commission. He predicted you would lose the race spectacularly. He wore the red sindel shirt around town and actively campaigned for her. When one commissioner does that to someone running for office, the other guy will remember and it makes for strained relationships.

I was amazed when Doug allowed you to defer the chairmanship for one year, allowing you to be chairman during his election year, with the access to the media the chair enjoys. As smart as he thinks he is, and he lets the staff know every day he's the smartest person in the room on any and every subject (as well as him always telling everyone he's a combat vet all the time-no kidding everyone is, it's a Navy town) that was a huge rookie mistake. He lost access to being in the media when he stepped back. Not smart. Calling the parkland kids monsters, even if the kids are wrong, is mean spirited and wrong. Another huge mistake. He protests about being angry, and I agree he's not. He's just a high level arrogant person. That can be mistaken as anger. He can't help himself, as he still comes across as a jerk when talking with people, especially those he disagrees with and especially on social media as he's tone deaf.

So anyone paying attention knows you support the other guy. You're just more subtle and polite.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1