Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Deer Run Homeowner's Meeting Tomorrow Night---Residents NOT Happy...

Residents are upset about numerous issues at Deer Run and have requested a meeting to air these issues with me, county staff, and D.R. Horton Representatives....


I've been asked by residents of the Preserve at Deer Run, a D.R. Horton Development in Beulah, to attend a meeting tomorrow night at 7:00 at their subdivision.  I have asked staff to accompany me to this meeting, and I have also invited representatives from D.R. Horton to come as well.

The issues with this subdivision are many, primarily having to do with environmental compliance issues and issues with the retention ponds thus far--- but there is an overall feeling among the residents with whom I have spoken that they are not getting what was promised them when they bought in this subdivision with respect to access.

The biggest issue is the egress and ingress.

"We were promised there would be two entrances and exits for the resident's use" one homeowner told me when I spoke to her.

I have heard this same sentiment from other homeowners as well.

(Full disclosure, the current plan with one entrance/exit plus an emergency access point, the plan that has been submitted and approved by D.R. Horton-- meets the current county code.  We have several large subdivisions in Escambia County with one entrance and exit; Marcus Point has more than 500 homes with one entrance and one exit.  Nature Trail has 659 homes with two entrances on 9-Mile


 road--however I am told that some residents DO NOT like the second, unsecured entrance due to security concerns there.  So sentiments about the numbers of entrances and exits are varied.)

 Nevertheless, as it pertains to Deer Run Specifically--if promises were made that an additional access point was going to be built for neighbors and this is not being done, I want to know about that, too.

I have asked D.R. Horton about this and I was told that the plan was always to have the one main entrance, boulevard style, with an additional entrance at the south of the subdivision that is for emergency vehicle access only--not daily traffic in and out from the residents.

So at the meeting we will all put our cards on the table.  I have asked residents who were promised this if they have this in writing, and thus far I have not seen anything in writing indicating this promise was made by D.R. Horton to any resident.  Maybe at the meeting this will be provided?  We will see.

One resident who will be travelling on business and therefore unable to attend sent me the following issues and comments about his dissatisfaction with this neighborhood thus far:


"1) when you are leaving the neighborhood and turning left to get to the exit, there is no Stop sign for on-coming traffic from the cul-de-sac to the right.  I can’t remember the street names but it’s right in front of the model homes.
2) the installation, use, and maintenance of grinder pumps was never fully explained.  This was mentioned at your last D1 Town Hall Meeting as a stipulation for having them.
3) there is and has always been significant erosion issues in and around the neighborhood. DR Horton is less than proactive in preventing and maintaining environmental standards.
4) I would be interested to see the background checks on the workers DR Horton used to build their homes. Keep in mind, there are numerous stay-at-home Moms with kids in the neighborhood and at the pool during the day while these workers are coming in and out.
5) The traffic flow on the main road in and out of the neighborhood is awful. I’m not really sure anything can be done now, but it demonstrates a need for alternative entry/exit routes as promised by DR Horton.

I do not believe that DR Horton has delivered on its promise of a quality neighborhood and quality homes. Most upsetting to me, is I don’t think they care...especially at the local level.  In the process, they have upset and angered me, my neighbors and other Deer Run residents."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes and citizen trying to help was apparently threatened with a lawsuit..

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1