Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Public Defender is Unhappy over Access Issues

Meanwhile in a recent situation at another Florida facility--a Public Defender was punched in the face by her client.....

There has been a running issue at our new jail, highlighted by attorney Gene Mitchell's complaints about access to clients at the jail.

My understanding is/was we were going to address this utilizing technology, where feasible, to accomplish visitations in an attempt to thwart the potential threat of COVID-19 transmission into and out of our jail.  We are still in a Pandemic--and this means business as usual is not going to happen.  But I thought we were making the appropriate accomodations.

Apparently, the Public Defender is unhappy.

Last night we were all copied in an email from 1st Judicial Circuit Public Defender Bruce Miller in his answer to this email blast attorney Gene Mitchell had sent out:

From Gene Mitchell  "Today, a little after 5pm, I went to the Escambia County Jail to see XXXXXXXXXXXXX. Mr XXXXXXXXXXX is the inmate that Dr XXXXXXXXX wrote about in her recent letter. I was walked to XXXXXXXXXX, where Mr XXXXXXXXXX is located, then told that I cannot see him until well after 7pm because I’ve come during “head count” or “shift change” or some other phrase."

To which Bruce Miller responded:  

"Gene,

Thank you for the update.   Our Office encounters multiple issues daily with both the jail and GTL.   Several days back a PD attorney was toldat jail that his client was in quarantine and could not be seen in person.    The attorney reluctantly used the video room at jail to meet with his client (who advised he was not in quarantine).    This meeting was recorded.   There is NO explanation or excuse that could justify or explain this happening.   No one at the jail or GTL should have the means to record an attorney meeting with his client in a room specifically provided for attorney meetings.  This comes on the heels of our meeting with jail administration and being advised this could not be done. We have been told we can not close the doors in meeting rooms at the jail so that we may have a confidential meeting.   In short, this situation can not continue. I have met with Court Administration to express my concerns and failing faith that anything will be done to correct the issues."

Apparently, the Public Defender is unhappy........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you be mad if you were a lawyer and someone was prohibiting you from seeing your client?

Jeff Bergosh said...

Anonymous 2:28---Maybe. But what I wouldn't do is show up at the busiest time of the Guards' day and request an meeting and only after being accomodated say "Well, I don't really need to see my client--I was just using this visit as a 'test' to see if you all have corrected the visitation problems!"

No, I certainly wouldn't do that. Knowing there are challenges with staffing, knowing when shift change is, no I wouldn't do that. So knowing I wouldn't do that, of course I would be mad if it was LEGITIMATE and I was, no kidding, prevented from seeing my client absent any reason why.....

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1