Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Thursday, June 22, 2023

Changes Coming to the D1 Office: Debbie Kenney Retiring, Jesse Casey Arriving



Over the next several weeks there will be a significant level of turnover in the District 1 Commissioner's Office that constituents need to know about.

First, my long-term assistant who has been a great friend to many and is like family to me, Ms. Debbie King Kenney, is retiring at the end of this month.  She has been a great asset to my office over the last seven years and she will be missed.  But I understand the reasons for her retirement and I wish her and Mike all the best in retirement.

As we staff the office going forward, though, we are restructuring a bit.  

I will be bringing aboard a person who, like Debbie,  is a tremendous "people person."  This individual knows the district's people, knows the county, knows practically every square inch of district 1, and is well-familiar with the issues of greatest importance to our constituents.  This person is Jesse Casey.  He will be my field representative for district 1 and will be working all over district 1 speaking with constituents, responding to constituent issues in the field, and being my eyes and ears out in the district.  He started this week, and will be working over the next week and a half with Debbie as the office transitions.

THE 70% SOLUTION:  Jeff Bergosh and Jesse Casey

So several of my friends in the district have raised their eyebrows at this move.  And according to Jesse, many of his friends in the district have also raised their eyebrows over this move.  The common question is--how the heck did this come about--as Jesse Casey and Jeff Bergosh have been opponents in the last several elections??

It came about after the last election, the night of the primary in August of 2020 when Jesse and I spoke, at length, at the conclusion of that election.  He and I both expressed an intention, if possible, to work together at some point down the line if an opportunity arose, for the betterment of the district as a whole.  As he put it on that call at that time "Jeff, you and I, between us, got 70% of the votes--wouldn't it be good if we could take that 70% and do something great for district 1?"  To which  I agreed and I expressed to him at that time and during that call  that  the concept of working together would be a great idea I would support.   Jesse's thoughts were even captured in the PNJ at that time.   From the article:  "Maybe we can figure out how District 1 can can reap those benefits by taking that 39% and that 31%, pull them together and make things happen," Casey said. "It doesn't matter who does it or who takes credit, as long as the people in the district reap the benefits."

Well, it looks like the day has come, where we can put that idea into action and work together for the citizens of this district--because I'd much rather work with someone collaboratively than work against that person.  Especially if it is a person like Jesse who, like me, shares a passion for serving.  We've spoken about what a collaboration could look like, we've kicked around the idea over lunch, and we have now put the plan in motion.

So look for Jesse out in the field working for the citizens of our district.  And look for the office to bring in some part time interns for administrative tasks and additional support of the work we are doing for our constituents.  

We will be working together, Jesse and I, for you--the citizens of Escambia County.  There may be some minor hiccups as we adjust to the new structure--but I have every confidence this new look D1 office staff arrangement will produce unparalleled service for citizens in the years ahead.

Contact the office:

district1@myescambia.com 

jecasey@myescambia.com

850-595-4910





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the salary for this position.

Mel Pino said...

Happy to hear this! What a great idea, and an example of coming together in politics that happens so rarely.

I'm really going to miss Debbie. :( One of my favorite people and one of the best eggs at the County.

Jeff Bergosh said...

9:58--The salary starts out at the same level for all of the Commissioner's Support Staffers. It is currently just over $70K plus benefits. It is a good job with good benefits and a lot of power--but it is not always an easy job; our office has to work with folks that in many cases are very angry, upset, and at times profane and downright rude. We treat them all professionally.

Melissa--thanks and I agree: it is rare to find two former opponents come together for the good of the citizens--but it is happening here in District 1. Jesse is going to be a great addition to the team and as I said in the post--he has a servants heart for the citizens of district 1 and I believe together he and I will be able to do some amazing things for the citizens we serve over the next several years. It is going to be great!

Anonymous said...

That's great for the district. I like the collaboration.

Another great leader in our past assembled a similar team after an election.

I read about it in the book "Team of Rivals -- The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln"

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1