Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Buc-ee's is Hiring......WOW!

 


Buc-ee's is a phnomenon all to itself.  

I didn't know much about them, other than I had stopped in the locations outside of Tucson and San Antonio on cross country trips from Pensacola to San Diego multiple times since 2004.

They have good prices on gas, a funny logo, they sell shirts, they have clean restrooms, and they have retail floor space larger than Lowe's or Home Depot with ANYTHING you want for sale.  Anything travel related.  And gas pumps in rows.  Lots of them.  They're unique.

A couple of years back a Buc-ees opened nearby--just over the border in Alabama between Mobile and Pensacola.  I've stopped there from time to time for gas and a pulled-pork sandwich on trips out of Pensacola on the I-10.

This past weekend coming off a road trip to New Orleans I braved the crowds to stop at the closest Buc-ees to our area.  There were so many cars trying to get in, the parking lot attendants literally were directing traffic like I was at the L.A. Coliseum to see the Rolling Stones play a concert.  It was ridiculous.  But even with a massive crowd I got in and out quick (and paid about $.20 cents less per gallon than I would have at the Circle K in Pensacola.....)

As I pumped gas I saw the placard on the pump announcing the positions that were open at this local Buc-ees (and the pay).

I guess I must be out of touch --------but some of those jobs pay well.  I mean, over $200K.  WOW!

So it just goes to show we live in a great country, and with a company like Buc-ees, a young person can start a job at the entry level and end up working his/her way up to store manager making a respectable salary.  No college, no student loans, straight in to the workforce.  Not for everyone--but for some this could be a very viable option.  I'm sure they earn this pay, whoever works there----it is retail after all---but WOW!  

Look at the wages, below.  Look at the benefits.  How in the world will McDonalds, BK, and the rest compete with this kind of pay and benefits package??????  No wonder a Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal deal and McDonalds is like $14.68 these days...And a 3-piece Chicken Dinner at Popeye's with a drink is like $15.79.  Funny money.....

(my first job at the Navy commissary in Yokosuka Japan at age 14 paid $2.41 an hour in 1982---my first job in Pensacola at the Popeye's on Navy Blvd in 1984 paid $3.35 per hour-----my oh my have times  changed!)



5 comments:

Alice Hurst Neal said...

My first job (one where I paid taxes anyway) was with AMC Theaters in Mariner Mall on Fairfield. It was 1985 and I started at $2.30 an hour. When I left 2 years later, I was making $3.10 an hour. Times have certainly changed.

Buccee's pays well but those jobs are hard to get. I have several family members that live in Robertsdale and Summerdale and they said it's VERY competitive.

Side note: I think I remember you from high school. PHS, Class of '86. (Although I left in '85 and went to PJC Adult High.)

Jeff Bergosh said...

Alice Hurst Neal----Mariner Mall....I rememberit well and the AMC theater inside. There was also a Chan's mini bar inside the mall on the way to the AMC, and a game room too. Lots of good times there. Yes, I was PHS class of 1986. Second graduating class to have commencement ceremonies in the Pensacola Civic Center when it was new. And like you I went through the grinder of low pay service jobs in that time here in Pensacola.....Popeye's, Wendy's on Navy Blvd., then the Putt Putt on Navy where the Firehouse Subs is now. Lots has changed in Pensacola since then, lots for the better and better paying jobs options for our youth so they won't have to leave Pensacola to make a good wage like in years past......Thus, my focus on economic development as a commissioner. :)

Anonymous said...

Your focus should be pulling your head outta your arse

Anonymous said...

Tick, tock.

Jeff Bergosh said...

10:10--Ha Ha --what an original put down. You must be in Mensa. LOL




Now, back to Escambia Hate Watch, you're on the wrong site.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1