I am posting these minutes to expedite information dissemination. Much more complete and detailed minutes will be posted in 4-6 weeks on the school district’s website. In the mean time, these minutes are what I feel were the big “takeaways”, a macro look at my impression of the meeting. These are condensed, abbreviated, shortened, and to the point.
Meeting convened at 5:32 PM
All Board Members (except Bill Slayton) and Superintendent Malcolm Thomas present.
Pledge of Allegiance led by 4th Grade N.B. Cook Elementary School Student Rebecca Neal
4 Speakers addressed the board during Public Forum
1 Speaker complimented the district on its virtual learning program
1 Speaker is against mandatory accident insurance for athletes
1 Speaker concerned that the district is going into next year with a projected level of reserves at 7%
1 Speaker honored the accomplishments of EEA president Gail Husbands
PTA Presentation—given by Kathy Lasky
Stellar Employee of the year Recognition—Jane Finn, long-term, retiring supervisor of the district’s revenue department, honored with a plaque and certificate of appreciation as well as a check for $500. From Members First Credit Union.
Rule adoptions: None
Permission to advertise rules for adoption:
1. The School Board will by Resolution on July 21, 2009, at its regularly scheduled Board Meeting name Booker T. Washington High School’s auditorium the “Theodore B.D. Bennett Auditorium” as approved by the Booker T. Washington High School Advisory Council Selection Committee at
Its May 7, 2009 meeting.----- Approved 4-0
2. Notice of Intent to Adopt Amendments to Chapter 5, Business Services, Rules and Procedures of the District School Board Approved----- 4-0 (vigorous discussion about this issue took place, with me expressing my significant concerns about this item as it essentially forces parents to buy extra insurance from the district if their children want to play in sports. I expressed that I felt this was punitive to those who already have coverage.)
3. Notice of Intent to Adopt Amendments to Chapter 3, School Operating Procedures, Rules and Procedures of the District School Board Passed 4-0
4. Notice of Intent to Adopt Amendments to School District Rule 6Gx177.02,
Code of Conduct: Elementary Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook Revisions 20092010 -----Approved 4-0
5. Notice of Intent to Adopt Amendments to School District Rule 6Gx177.02,
Code of Conduct: Secondary Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook Revisions 20092010----Approved 4-0
6. Notice of Intent to Adopt Revisions and Amendments to the District School Board Student Progression Plan, 6Gx177.09---- Approved 4-0
1. Cassandra Andrews, from reading coach at Montclair to assistant principal at Warrington Middle, effective July 1
2. Cherie Arnette, from social studies teacher at Tate to subject area specialist-social studies, effective July 30
3. Brent Brummet, from assistant principal at Escambia HS to principal at Ransom Middle, effective July 1
4. Dr. Karen Owen, from principal at Cook Elem. to Director of Staff Development, effective July 1
5. Wilson Taylor, from Dean at Ransom Middle to assistant principal at Warrington Middle, effective July 1
4 sets of April Board Meeting Minutes Approved, 4-0
Entire Consent Agenda Approved.
All Curriculum items approved (Items 12 and 23 pulled by Mrs. Moultrie, and she recused herself from the vote on these items)
All Finance items approved
All Human Resources items Approved
All Purchasing items approved
All Operations items approved
(Purchasing item #37, Custodial Zone Sub-Contracting-Zone three agreement pulled for discussion debate. Contract approved by a 3-1 vote, with Linda Moultrie voting “no”(Entire Consent Agenda was meticulously covered and discussed at length during a thorough, six hour school board workshop held during the early afternoon and evening of 6-15-2009)
Items from the board:
Patty Hightower voted by the board, unanimously 4-0, to remain the School Board member for The Florida School boars Association board of Directors for 2009.Board voted unanimously, 4-0, to accept the superintendent’s recommendation regarding the following:
Reappointment of Professional Personnel for 2009-2010 school year, approved 4-0
Reappointment of Administrative Personnel for 2009-2010 school year, approved 4-0
Student recommendations: approved 4-0
21 Students Expelled
1 Students suspended pending conclusion of criminal charges.
Student infractions included:
1 for criminal incident outside of school
7 for possession of weapons
10 for repeated incidents of disruptive behavior/fighting
4 for possession of drugs on school property
2 Employee Recommendations by Superintendent approved unanimously by board, to include:
1 employee suspended without pay
1 employee terminated
Items from the General Counsel
Board voted 4-0 to approve 4 contracts with local attorneys/law firms, to provide legal services to the board.
Meeting adjourned at 7:02 PM.
I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory.