Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Threaten Me, and You Get an Email Response Like This......

Got a rather passive aggressive email from a guy this morning which sort of ticked me off... I don't like the tone or the implied threat.  my response below...

XXXXXXXXXXX  Monday - January 17, 2011 8:05 PM
To:
Subject: No Drug Tests for Kids

Hello Sir,


My name is XXXXXXXXXXXX and I am a life-long resident of escambia county. In tomorrow's meeting I hope you will vote 'No' on implementing the proposed drug tests for students in our schools. From the PNJ and WEAR I know you are a proponent of this new policy. If you persist in supporting this policy I will vote against you should you seek re-election. I feel this policy is too reactionary and detrimental to our fine youth. Also, I am vocal in my opinions and will try to sway others to my line of thinking should you vote yay as opposed to nay. Sir, please return to the realm of reason and say no to random drug tests for children. It is too much. Stop. Focus on on-campus activities, programs and policies. What children do off their school premises is not the business of the schools. Knock it off.

Thank you and have a good day. I will be watching. Come election day, should you vote Yay to drug tests, I shall vote yay to your opponent.


My Response:


XXXXXXXX,


Not here to win popularity contests, not here to make friends, and not here to bow to the whims of people who are not in possession of all of the facts. I'm voting for this drug testing. Period. Break. End of text.---

this was my plan, and there is a reason for it.

I've got three kids in these schools, XXXXXXXX. Do you? Yeah, that's what I thought.

My kids have come home and told me they have seen drugs at school. When I went to these schools in the early 80's--drugs were a problem. As a board member I see the discipline reports monthly and I read them. Drugs are a problem in our schools XXXXXX, dont' fool yourself and believe otherwise. Don't be like an Ostrich.

The drug problem still exists. We are kicking more and more students out of school for drugs and someone has to confront the issue with a comprehensive plan. For the kids' sake, it's a good thing we are not counting on folks like you who lack the facts and the intestinal fortitude to embrace a common sense comprehensive approach like the one we are putting on the table---even if some small vocal minority disapprove.

Drug testing students is one tool in a multi-faceted approach to try to curb student drug use. If this ONE issue is a make or break deal for you then by all means vote against me next time--I neither need nor want your vote if you are this shallow.

This is about kids and safety, not about seeing which way the wind blows and voting in such a way as to "not offend" people like XXXXXXXXXXXX.

BTW, just so you know, in the last recent election I won nearly 7 of 10 voters in my district in a three man race--- because people want politicians that don't always bend to the whims of special interests. Dead people on ballots around the country have produced more votes than my last two opponents combined, which either says something about them, or me, or both.

I'll leave it to you to try to figure that out, XXXXXX.

The tone is harsh on purpose because I don't like when people like you attempt to threaten me. to use your words on you--"Knock it off"


Jeff Bergosh

Escambia County School Board, Dist. 1

850-469-6147

www.jeffbergoshblog.blogspot.com

jbergosh@escambia.k12.fl.us

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1