Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, October 27, 2023

Community Leaders in the Classroom: Sherwood Elementary School


I graciously accepted the opportunity to once again come out to Sherwood Elementary School to read to students during their "Community Leaders in the Classroom" day today.  I was joined by City Councilman Casey Jones, Police Chief Eric Randle, and Pensacola Mayor D.C. Reeves.  It was a really great morning. 

Now, I have been to Sherwood numerous times before as a school board member and even before that when I was a student at Sherwood in 1977 as a 5th grader in Mrs. McDonald's class.

Last year I was able to come out and read---- and again this year I was invited to do so.

Mrs. Peters' first grade class was excited to have a visitor in the class, and they apparently REALLY liked the book I chose to read to them "How to Catch a Mermaid"--a very cute story about making friends and how friends can be at your side when you need them the most.



(And NO--this little book is not one of the controversial ones slated for removal--I checked with the librarian after I chose it, LOL).

Once I sat down to tell the story and read the book--the students were transfixed; these students were EXCEPTIONALLY well behaved and listened intently to the story.  As I typically try to do--I improvised, embellished, exaggerated, and added some stuff to the story to make it fun.

"Could a mermaid outrun a submarine?"

"Will the mermaid defeat the sharks?"

"Will these children succeed in their plan to "catch" the mermaid?"

The answers were classic--and made my morning!

Once I finished the story, I thanked the children for their politeness and attentiveness, and I implored them to be good classmates and listen to and follow Mrs. Peters' rules.  Then I asked one final question:

"Are mermaids real?"  (about 80% raised their hands yes, with 20% raising hands no).  

I told them all they'd have to wait until 2nd grade, next year, to get the answer.  😉

As most of the children got up to go back to their stations, one young man came right up to me and unexpectedly gave me a big Bear Hug as I sat in the chair.  It was really special and I thanked him for being a great listener.



What a day, an hour to forget all the other horrible stuff going on the world, and to once again, through the eyes of first graders--see the world how they see it!  

Priceless!

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1