Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Thursday, May 24, 2018

Constituent Email Pushes Government to Fix a Safety Issue.....Quickly

Within one month of receiving a complaint about this roadway entrance and how some drivers were not following the signs and making illegal left turns creating a safety hazard---within one month the state has now fixed the issue!


I received a constituent email last month about an annoying and potentially unsafe issue at a roadway entrance to Wal Mart on Mobile Highway..... from the email:

"I want to bring to your attention something that is becoming increasingly dangerous in our neighborhood. The Walmart market across from the fairgrounds has been a blessing for us. However, there are those who choose to violate traffic laws and are making it dangerous to even be in the parking lot.
Allow me to explain:
There are 3 entrances to Walmart from Mobile highway.  The one in the middle is a right turn only to enter and exit meaning those that are coming from Beulah and turning Left into the market must either use the 1st or the 3rd entrance. The 2nd entrance only permits someone to turn Right into the lot &that is only if they are coming from the East.
 I've noticed more and more frequently that people utilizing that 2nd entrance to turn left. It happens at least once a week where I am almost hit by somebody turning illegally here. Last week some idiot came in through the exit turn lane (@ 30 miles an hour) and literally almost T boned me! It was very scary because my son was in the car with me and would have been directly hit by this man. I've spoken with the manager at Walmart and he suggested I contact you. They have had many complaints about people turning illegally there. My proposal would be to put up those yellow Poles in the center line to prevent people from turning left there. I've seen them utilized with success on Pine Forest Rd at the interstate entrance.

What do you think?" 

After I received this email, I sent it to the roads department.  They, in turn, sent it to the state roads department, FDOT.  Fast forward a month--and SHAZAM!!--I get this email from staff, below:

"Thanks to excellent coordination between the County, FDOT, and FDOT’s contractor, the flexible delineators were installed in just over a month from the time of the request.  The photo, looking southeast, below was from yesterday evening.  Please let me know if you need anything else.
 My personal thanks to all involved to make this happen for our concerned residents.  We make a great team."

Who says government always moves at a snail's pace?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch some idiot drive around them one of these days. I might assuming the traffic was absolutely dead and no one was out (say at midnight). Otherwise I wouldn't.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1