Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Monday, November 25, 2019

Sunshine! Part I

Some folks think they understand the sunshine law and what it means.  When they begin to write about it, their ignorance on the topic is spotlighted.....


As I return from a really relaxing, really great weekend getaway out of state-- I see some familiar faces online spouting inaccurate, ridiculous tripe purported to be the "truth."  In some of this garbage that is nothing more than ill-informed opinion-- I am named.

But the opinions expressed are not factual.  They are simply opinions--and everybody has one, just like the famous old saying goes, the one everyone knows but I won't spell it out for you here.

So the latest "Opinion" being bandied about as fact is that it is against the law to project an opinion on a topic ahead of a vote.  ILLEGAL!!  "It is illegal it is a violation of the sunshine law!!"they are saying as they work themselves into a frenzied lather with their conjecture and speculation on a topic that they clearly do not understand.

So let me explain the way it really works, in my opinion and in practice.  (i.e. this is how I operate, and as I have operated since 2006 when I was first elected as a school board member locally)

1.  I blog about things that interest me.  I do this to share my thoughts on topics with constituents.  I do this to clearly stake out my opinions on  topics of interest--some of which I also strongly advocate for in my work as an elected representative on the Escambia Board of County Commissioners.  (and previously as a member of the Escambia County School Board) I do this often so that folks will know in advance how I intend to vote on issues.

2.  I maintain a Commissioner Facebook Page--from which I interact with constituents for the reasons listed in #1 above.  I do not block anyone, nor do I erase comments.

3.  I write OP-eds in the PNJ from time to time.  for the same reasons listed above, in #1.

4.  I go on radio shows frequently, when I am asked to do so, and discuss topics of interest and topics that will come before the board for a vote.  for the same reasons mentioned in #1 above.

5.  I appear from time to time on Channel 3. for the same reasons mentioned in #1 above.

6.  I do monthly coffee's and frequent town hall meetings to hear from constituents and to let constituents know where I stand on a host of topics.  I do these for many reasons and for the same reasons mentioned in #1 above.


So for folks to get so exercised over this is really quite perplexing.  Why else would the media want to speak with any of us, the elected board members, if we could not discuss anything that could potentially come before the commission for a vote?  Believe me, they don't care nor do they have any interest in talking to us about our hobbies or what restaurants we like.  They ask us for our thoughts on topics that involve our official duties!  Hello?!?

Giving my opinion out like I do is NOT a violation of the sunshine law, no matter what any self-anointed facebook site "expert" wants you to believe. The lack of understanding of this is really quite astonishing....More on this in Part II.

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1