Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, January 22, 2021

Folks are Being Misled and Manipulated about OLF-8 Part II

Folks that believe some of the lies in a chain
email going around are being used and 
manipulated.  The OLF-8 project will
be a great community asset with something
for everyone!  There is no FIGHT to be had 
on this project!
As I described in part I, there is a "chain-mail" going around that has a lot of debunked garbage in it as well as faux-facts about the OLF-8 project and the Board of County Commissioners' intentions going forward with this land.

We had a handful of speakers attend our public forum on this topic yesterday, and I took the opportunity to let them know they had been misled and that the characterizations they are hearing from some special interests on this project were simply untrue.  I spoke to the issue and set the record straight beginning at minute 18:00 of this video. and also at minute 54:30.  I was amazed that these folks are/were being misled and manipulated to such a degree.

Folks should not allow themselves to be manipulated to a point they become enraged about this project---there is no fight to be had here!!!  I want great things and good amenities on this field-I want what they want-and DPZ is going to help us facilitate this compromise! 😀

Not to sound like a broken record--but I have agreed to the compromise the board made and agreed to in this document in 2018.  Everyone who is getting these garbage propaganda flyers going around should look at this very important board guidance document that was approved in November of 2018 via a 5-0 vote of the board.  After that was approved------at that point the project changed and shifted to a mixed use development--with something for everyone--and away from strictly a "commerce park."  So again, as it pertains to this project, here is my position which I believe comports with what the vast majority of my constituents want:

Here is what I support: I want parks, greenspace, an elementary school, a walking/biking trail all around the field, restaurants and some retail along 9-mile road’s frontage.  I want beautiful aesthetics and lots of amenities for nearby residents like you and me.  I also want good, high-tech/clean tech high-paying Jobs in attractive facilities like NFCU’s buildings.  And I want us to follow the guidance document, the seven-pager linked above, that the BCC voted unanimously to approve, for how jobs and amenities are to be developed on OLF 8.   If we do this—we will all get a win and we will have JOBS, amenities, parks, some retail, a school, hopefully a post office, and possibly some mixed-use features.  I want something good for the community and the county and region---which means jobs are an important priority.  I am willing to compromise to a point—but not on the jobs aspects.  After all---we spent $18 Million and 25 years acquiring this parcel of land to create jobs.  Every acre we take away from that goal represents a compromise already.  So my ideal plan utilizes the maximum number of acres possible for the creation of good jobs which will allow us to secure a Triumph Gulf Coast grant for the build-out of the property to include infrastructure, roads, gutters, and stormwater features that may also double as recreational amenities for nearby residents.

Here’s what I don’t support:  Residential development on the field.  I know I may have to accept some in the final plan that will be a compromise with my peers on the board—but I do not believe we should use this land for residential construction or for sourcing land for residential developers.  There is too much residential out here already under construction---and the infrastructure is insufficient to handle more of this concentrated all in one area like OLF-8.  Furthermore, I do not believe that if high-density, high-impact residential is permitted on the

 field-----especially if it is designed to be “affordable”---that this ensures such residents of such developments will all work within the area and NOT exacerbate our traffic issues further.  NO, I believe the opposite is quite possible.  If cheap residential is built out here—it will lower existing single family residential property values, crime rates will go up, and such low-cost housing will fill up with workers from throughout the area who will, in turn, be the newest area commuters going in and out of our already congested neighborhood at all hours and times of the day and night and weekends.

 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most people just don't trust you, which is why the majority of your district voted for other candidates.

Jeff Bergosh said...

Anonymous this has nothing to do with folks trusting me, it is all about folks being gullible and naïve and trusting an unsigned, un-named flyer full of propaganda, lies, and disinformation. Then, they come to meetings all spun up just to find out what they want is what we all want. It's really fascinating to witness how easily folks get manipulated. And about your election analysis----your information is wrong. Let me give you the facts for your edification: The majority of the registered voters in my district did not vote at all in my primary election----less than 1/3 of voters did vote in the primary. That's #1. And of those that did vote, I won the most votes----which is the measure of who wins an election, in case you didn't know. That's #2. Number 3 is this: I beat the 2nd place guy by 1100 votes and an 8 point percentage margin of victory. the D2 secretary, Owens, who came in third because I put him in that position for the bronze medal--yeah I crushed him by a nearly 17 point margin and more than 2000 votes. So now you know how elections work and why I'm commissioner and the other guys that ran in the race are not :)

Anonymous said...

Cool story. Kinda funny you have to explain this on every single post you make.
61% of people DID NOT vote for you.

Jeff Bergosh said...

Cool Post. Kinda funny that I only have to explain it for some folks like you that apparently don't understand basic arithmetic and the bedrock principal of an election, so let me help you. Read this very slowly so that one day you might actually comprehend it and understand what it means.... the candidate that gets the most votes wins!

(uh, and that was me, BTW, in my primary election.)

It's okay though, anon, you can bring more candidates again in 46 months and we will run it again, LOL. Here is a newsflash for you though: The outcome will be no different next time that it was this time. I know you are really bitter, agitated, and triggered. It will get better in time, probably, but meanwhile you can call me "commissioner."

Anonymous said...

You might have gotten the most votes, but the majority of people did not vote for you.

Anonymous said...

Losers gonna hate. Maybe their chosen candidate will be truthful with them and tell them the election is over, they lost and you win. But instead we’ll tell them to keep this off topic and lie to them in the process.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1