Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, April 26, 2019

A Part-Time Job----With More than Full Time Hours and Commitment

There is a debate afoot: Some folks believe only retirees, business-owners, or those that are independently wealthy should be able to serve on Boards, Councils, and Commissions.  That would unfairly inhibit the potential service of working-class, working-age candidates, though.  It is for this reason that the vast majority of non-wealthy, working-age Board, Commission, and Council Members maintain their careers through their years of public service.  To demand otherwise would simply serve as a punishment for public service.


Lately there has been some rumblings online about the level of engagement a commissioner, a board member of the Escambia County Commission, should have.  Specifically--is the position of a County Commissioner a full-time, or a part-time position?

Because I am entering my 13th year as a member of a locally-elected public board of directors (Escambia County School Board-2006 until 2016, Escambia County Commissioner 2016-present)  I know the answer from my perspective--based upon my own experience and also based upon the inputs I gleaned from meeting peers from around the country at statewide and national conferences over the past 13 years.

If an individual is truly serious about being effective and knowing his/her role in the hierarchy-I believe the answer to the Part-Time/Full Time question about board membership is this:

It is a part-time job that requires more than full-time hours and commitment to the position .

 But what does that mean, you ask?  Well, I will explain it from my perspective but first I would encourage the readers to look at this nicely done, easy to read two-pager from the National Association of Counties (NACO).  And then this interesting piece from the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG).

Interestingly--both of these publications refer to the job as "part-time" with the caveat that the position is actually "on-call" 24-7, 365--which I can attest to being a true statement.

So here is my philosophy on this issue.  A person that steps up and takes on the challenge to run for an office, win an election, and serve his community should not be "punished" for his public service by having to quit his/her business or resign from his/her career.

Most rational folks understand this.   Yes, the pay for our work is excellent.  But it is set by the state--just as the salaries for School Board Members, Sheriff's, Property Appraisers, and other constitutional offices are set by formula set in statutes.  Candidates are well aware of the pay before they run.  If they win, they get the emoluments of the position--including the paycheck...with neither the expectation that they resign from their careers nor the requirement to do so-which is as it should be.

And this is why the majority of the folks of working-age that serve their communities on Councils, Boards, and Commissions work a regular job as well or own their own business, or are independently wealthy.  Looking at the two county area (Escambia and Santa Rosa)  seven of the ten currently-seated County Commissioners derive income from work outside of their BCC seats (Attorney, Auto Mechanic, Financial Planner, RE Salesman, Navy Contractor Employee, Navy Reservist, Construction Company Owner), two are retired and earn pensions (USAF and Gulf Power), and ONLY ONE (10%) is a true full-time County Commissioner--only deriving income from his BCC salary.

So should a person who has a career or an income from employment outside his elected seat with an employer that is willing to support such an employee's public service be shamed into "quitting" his career for for a 4-year job that does not require the presence of that official from 8-5PM M-F?  Of course not--because to have that mindset would 1.)


limit the candidates for office to only those who are wealthy, self-employed, or retired. and 2.) have the negative effect of punishing a public servant for his/her public service.

And the job of county commissioner, especially locally in Escambia County, does not lend itself to longevity.  (I'd encourage anyone who does not believe this to look at the wall of commissioners on the 2nd floor of the County Admin Bldg. on Palafox Place.  It appears, using rough math, that the average consecutive term in office lifespan of an incumbent BCC member locally has actually been  less than two terms historically.)  Check my math on that if you don't believe me...  And entering my third year in this office I see the reasons why.

We do good things daily--but we also make people angry with most decisions we make which has the ancillary effect of creating enemies with long memories.  This, combined with our peculiar practice of engaging in district-specific elections creating an exceptionally small pool of actual voters who participate in closed primary elections locally--and --voila!  The recipe for razor-thin elections with lots of turnover in these elected offices is perfected....

So, in closing, I think (my opinion based upon my 13 years experience) the measure of an effective representative on a local board/commission/council should be discerned by the regularity of his/her attendance at meetings and workshops, his/her willingness to bring ideas/solutions to the board, his/her ability to lead the board, his/her creativity, his/her ability to work well with staff, and his/her openness/transparency with constituents and counterparts alike.  And if a representative is doing that----trust me on this:  They won't be only working "part-time"----even if they have a "day job."

Weekends, evenings and other times will be consumed with study, research, meetings, events, outreach, media, attending community functions, communicating with citizens, etc. etc..

Yes, this is a job with lots of responsibilities that requires much.  What it should not and does not require is that an officeholder voluntarily leave his/her career. 

And that's why the ones who have things going on and have careers and can hold jobs--do both.

 Nothing wrong with that at all--in my opinion--and this is why most of the officeholders derive income from outside work while serving.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

People who hold office need to be independently wealthy, otherwise they are more susceptible to corruption. In the military when people apply for security clearances their finances are also scrutinized for this very fact.

Keep your day job.

Another fact: Excess time spent on social media is addicting, causes conflict AKA drama which is dysfunctional.


Anonymous said...

People really need to study Narcissism, a personality disorder. I know people throw that around but we have one on the board of County commissioners and he will never be able to see that he is a bully and is the one in the wrong..never. The one citizen that has given him an outlet for supply is unable to see that. A person came on the site and spelled it out in totality and and they are unable to see it that she is talking about them.

They thanked her..

Unbelievable

so the rest of the county spends times defending against all manner of insults and unreasonableness. I am sure the county employees have dealt with it all day everyday.

Even when a well respected citizen holds it up to their face they can not see it.

It's about FLWEST


I wish they would get a job and get busy. We can only hope. They will never stop on their own.

Captcudd@gmail said...

Commissioner Bergosh, you have no reason to explain your job, part time or anything else. Your willingness to work for the good of the County speaks for itself.
The attacker is a narcissistic, self-agrandised lying fool that beleive his own sewage.
He spends all of his time running people down and causing divisiveness amongst staff, constituents and Commissioners.
He is a train wreck, his entire life gas been one.
As long as he is allowed to run crazy he will continue the break thing and people.
Ignore the worthless and move firward doing the good work you are known for.

Theresa Blackwell said...

I can agree that I do not believe that a commissioner should have to give up their day job to serve, especially since a term in office could be just four years and derail a career. But I can do it without falsely taking on the mantle of a psychotherapist, and I have the nerve to let my name be attached to my comments. So tired of the predominantly "Anonymous" attacks on here, like a particularly vague and inscrutable one today. Why should we believe any anonymous post is real?

Jeff Bergosh said...

Randy Cudd--thanks for the assessment. Theresa-I appreciate your understanding of the full-time/part-time issue. It will be made into a campaign issue but the majority of folks will see right through that. About anonymous comments..where to begin. First, since I started this blog halfway through my first school board term 11 years ago, I have never NOT allowed anonymous comments. I have also NEVER commented here anonymously--you can believe that or not but I do not lie. I use my name when I comment on this site and on facebook with my real account. Anonymous speech is free speech, though, and I support free speech. Now, do the conversations get rough--uh, yeah. And as you know, I am often on the receiving end of personal attacks. And as you know it is open season on me at ECW no matter what I do, so I'm not going to feel bad if folks discuss their feelings about that group here. So yes, unless there is foul language used, I move the comments from the moderation folder directly onto the blog. Sometimes I get beat up too--even on here. I have thick skin and I can take it, but it is good to have multiple outlets to get my side of things out, and this blog has been incredibly effective at allowing me to do just this. I am AMAZED at the number of unique and returning visits I get each day, and it has grown over the years to a point that if I truly want something to be covered, I put it on here. It immediately gets woodpeckered by the BCC IP address, WEAR, and PNJ every day, multiple hits. Then I typically get a phone call from them for a comment or an interview. It is effective. Ironically, I get more visits from the ECSD IP address now that I am a BCC member than I did when I served on that board. So no, I am not going to apologize for the rough and tumble nature of the anonymous comments on this site. Remember, when someone feels like they can tell the whole truth and/or what they really feel, it is much more valuable and insightful than the milquetoast, self-censored rendition that might be posted under one's actual name--if it were to be posted at all. I'd rather let someone be anonymous and say exactly what they want--I think that gets us a more truthful perspective, and it also allows some things to be put out that otherwise might not be put out.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1