Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Monday, October 28, 2019

Yes, There are Blue Crabs in Perdido Bay Part II

Blue Crab like the one I pulled in, above, are becoming more and more prevalent in Northern Perdido Bay, North of the Lillian Bridge, according to a resident with whom I spoke yesterday who has lived in the same house on this bay since 1974...

This past weekend I went to Perdido Bay, on a 39 acre waterfront property the county owns on the northern portion of this water body (and future site of a new boat ramp and water access point for citizens) to prove that yes, Blue Crabs do exist in Perdido Bay still.

And I proved that on Sunday.
(You can watch the short video of me pulling in crabs via this facebook post--if you want visual confirmation a la the famous coach Parcells Coors Light Commercial........)

But then by happenstance I had the opportunity to speak with another D1 constituent about another issue.  Once we got that separate issue handled, we spoke about Perdido Bay.

You see, this individual lives on Perdido Bay, north of the Lillian Bridge.

He's lived in the same house on this Bay since 1974.  He's seen a lot over the years.....

So I asked him what he thinks about the health of the bay as of late, since he has lived here so long.

"It has improved over the last several years, it is getting better.  I see dolphins, lots of fish, and crab" he stated.  "My neighbor puts out crab traps and he can get between 10-20 per day.  We have even seen some soft shell crabs--and we had not seen them here before for many, many years" he stated with emphasis.

He also spoke about something else that gives a tantalizing clue about the bay's overall health.  "I see the sea grass is coming back on the shore of my property over the last few years--and it was gone for quite some time but it is coming back" he stated.

So yes, despite the doomsday assertions of some and the ridiculous, inaccurate, and fabricated cartoons in the PNJ that show green sludge being dumped into the bay (no green sludge is being dumped by IP--I confirmed that when I went to the discharge pipe and put eyes on it personally)--Perdido Bay is making a comeback!  Perdido Bay is NOT dead.  (and if it could speak for itself, I have a feeling Perdido Bay might channel Mark Twain's famous quote: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated!")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somebody needs to explain point source means it can be determined where the rain water run off is coming from and water flows downhill.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1