Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, October 4, 2019

An Afternoon With International Paper Part I

I was offered a tour of International Paper's facilities today--including their wetlands and wastewater facilities--and it was an eye-opener...


I took the afternoon off of work today to go to Cantonment and tour International Paper's facility there and learn about their business and their environmental perspective.  A part of this tour included driving down to the 1400 acre site where their effluent goes through the wetlands before it empties into Perdido Bay.

Upon arrival, I was ushered into a nice conference room and given materials and a very informative powerpoint presentation about IP, their business segments, and their environmental philosophy.  I must admit it was an overwhelming amount of information and at times I felt like I was back in school, in Biology 101, as we discussed the minutiae of their efforts to navigate the circuitous process to get a renewed discharge permit through the state.

I am so happy I took time to go out and hear IP's side of the story.  And I learned a lot, and I saw a lot.

The main issue I had with today was the inaccessibility of much of the polishing wetlands.

I was also really bummed when I found out I could not take pictures and videos.

"It is strictly prohibited under company policy" I was told right up front.  (Full disclosure--I nearly got up and walked out at that point--but I really wanted to see what was happening in the wetlands so I acquiesced to this rule and put my phone away...)

I'm glad I stayed.  And I learned a lot.  In part II I will go into this issue in depth--because there is a lot more to tell.  Unlike what you see in cartoons in our paper---I care about this issue and the environment.  That's why I met with DEP and the scientists back in June.  That's why I spent hours today in the woods!


2 comments:

Mel Pino said...

Thank you so much for trying to push for accessibility to those areas, Commissioner Bergosh.

No photos and no video.

I guess it's like the paper mill version of Disneyworld?

Melissa Pino

Anonymous said...

The google earth presentation at the end public forum October 3 of the IP site made me wonder if some of that should be in a lined pond and not a cypress swamp.

The fact they won't let you take pictures is leading to the Streisand effect.

Looking forward to part 2.

This is why we love ya. You get all pissy back about Miss the Mark Marlette and call out the peanut gallery, then roll up your sleeves and get to the bottom of it.

You're one of us.

But you have the power of IMMUNITY.. We are counting on you..oh yeah don't drink the water, or at least don't swallow.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1