Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Wednesday, February 16, 2022

What has Escambia County Collected in Franchise Fees from the County's Electric Utility Provider over the Last 5 Years?

 




Actuals

Actuals

Actuals

Actuals

Actuals

General Fund:

FY21

FY20

FY19

FY18

FY17

Electric Franchise Fee

12,303,490.47

11,998,982.63

11,813,944.03

11,877,215.44

11,353,718.47




In light of everyone's Florida Power and Light (FPL) bill increasing--some have asked what  Escambia County collects in the way of franchise fees from this, the county's energy provider.  Over the last five years, as illustrated in the chart above, it is about $12 million per year.  This money goes into our general fund which pays for a LOT of the county's operations.

With a barrage of emails complaining about the FPL power increases and the stories of bills doubling and tripling in some cases, it is important to know this information.   Because I am getting emails like this:

"My power bill jumped from 160 to 292 in 1 month I went back and checked my power bill in January has been a little over 200 till this year upon going back and looking at my old bills I had never been charged something called a Fuel Charge and it was 67.45 what are the people of this county supposed to do allow Florida Power to do what they want when they want I'm confined to a hospital bed living on limited income has escambia county become a prisoner to a utility service that our county commissioners should have a say in thank you for listening..after spending over a hour with Florida Power today I learned you are charged one rate for 1000 kilowatt hours or less but when you go over the 1000kw hrs your charged 22% more for your power but nobody seems to answer why this is what difference does it make if I use 1000kw hrs or 3000kw hrs shouldn't everyone pay the same amount for power some things just aren't fair"


And I am sure my peers on the board are getting these sorts of emails as well.

According to the county attorney, our portion of the bill is based upon the size of the user's bill--and capped at a maximum of $10.00 per billing cycle.  In other words--our franchise fee is not the culprit responsible for these bills going through the roof.  According to Alison Rogers, the attorney for the board, the current agreement in force is some 30 years old.  A previous iteration of the Escambia  Board of County Commissioners attempted to update the agreement in 2012, but the vote to approve a new agreement failed by a 2-3 vote at that time.

I am certain this topic will be discussed at some point in our meeting tomorrow morning.  I also plan on having a representative from Florida Power and Light come to my town hall on Tuesday--I have made the invitation and am waiting a confirmation of his attendance.

1 comment:

Curious said...

I’m thankful you posted this information as most people including myself really don’t look at what a franchise fee is or how much it generates. I hadn’t considered it much until this past month when the stories came out about skyrocketing power bills. Like so many others I sat down and analyzed my bill over the past year, and I must be one of the lucky ones since my bill increased only by a few dollars although my usage was down from the previous year. If you would I’d like to see a list of franchise fees within this county and how much revenue the county receives. Further, how are these fees used to improve our community?

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1