Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Thursday, October 14, 2021

Gerrymandering?

Local radio host Andrew Mckay is apparently kicking and screaming mad about our proposed new D1 district map.....

Apparently, at least one radio host locally is really unhappy with the D1 elected officials'  (Me, Kevin Adams, and Vicki Campbell) proposed re-districted map.  I've discussed this proposed map with each of them--my peer D1 elected officials--- on multiple occasions, and they are supportive of the draft map we completed on 10-5-2021.

In fact, in the week since the meeting I haven't received any negative constituent communications on the proposed new D1 map.  I've received positive feedback from several.  Most seem generally agreeable to the draft map.

But at least one lone radio host is not, though.

Andrew "Tallman" McKay, who has increasingly displayed a weird sort of soft-spot for Commissioner Doug Underhill, is apparently now attempting to gin up opposition (that does not currently exist) to the draft district map generated at the first joint meeting between the BCC and School Board early last week.  He, McKay, apparently doesn't like the maps.

Jim Little of the PNJ covered the meeting from 10-5 in balanced fashion as a journalist should.

So did Rick Outzen, in the Oct. 13th "The Buzz" section.

Mckay, on the other hand, is going it alone with his anger and frustration over the map in a weird kind of game by himself.  He even shilled for Underhill last week on his program by "excusing" Doug's absence at the once in a decade redistricting meeting saying it was "The World National Jet Ski Divisional Grand Championships" or some gobbledygook like that.  What?

Look Andrew--we, all of us that serve, have had to miss important family events during the course of our service in governance locally.  I've missed games, races, school functions---we all have to prioritize what is important in the schedule.  Doug blew the meeting off, period.  It was his choice to make, and he could have called in on Zoom as Kevin Adams did if he wanted to.

But he didn't.  

He just blew it off.  

And left his constituents high and dry with no representation at the meeting.

So yes, I put forth the map that the three current officeholders in D1 discussed.

It passes legal muster, meets the objectives of the statutes that dictate and mandate the process occur once per decade, and balances the county's 5 districts.

It's the map we will bring forward on November 2nd.   And if I can get two additional votes--it will be the new D1 map.

And to the insinuation made on the radio about me "Gerrymandering"--it's patently ridiculous.  

McKay is no dummie--so for him to insinuate this just shows the depth of his devotion to Doug.  But

for his and Doug's edification, he should know that all the precincts we are giving back to D2 in our proposed map (61, 99, and 75) are precincts I carried by large margins in each of my last contested elections.  Look it up.  In addition to that, I'm taking a precinct where Doug won a slim majority in his last election and where I am not popular due to the fact I supported opening Beach Access #4.

If it was "Gerrymandering" (which it isn't, by the way) I would be looking to offload precincts where I lost or where I did not do well and looking to pick up where my enemies did poorly.  Think.

I'm not doing that.

So before anyone insinuates I'm "Gerrymandering" McKay, (or Tallman, or whatever his name is), the office intern, the secretary, the water shouldering Underhill sycophants, anyone---they  should look it up and figure out what it means before lapping-up and swallowing ridiculous insinuations not based in fact...

And here's a great idea--since he, Andrew Tallman Mckay, is apparently so enthralled with Doug Underhill--when he goes to his next radio job in a new market somewhere else, (as he will do eventually) he ought to change his handle to the Andrew Underhill show in tribute to his favorite new hero!  LOL


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember him from Phoenix and he had weird bromances there, too. I bumped into him here in Pensacola and mentioned I recognized him from Phoenix. He reacted like Saul Goodman did in Better Call Saul. He is sort of odd.

Jeff Bergosh said...

Anonymous--I agree, he is odd. And it is odd the deference he pays to Doug despite all the drama surrounding that one commissioner only. Oh well, it is what it is. I like the Better Call Saul reference-it's humorous. Gene Takovic getting recognized in the mall by the mobsters while he's on break is an iconic scene from the show. I can't wait for season 6 next year. WCOA taking it to 1620 in morning drive ratings is also fun to watch. LOL

Anonymous said...

“Doug Doug Doug”, Godzilla roars.

Anonymous said...

Gerrymandering is for Chicago-style politics.
Bergosh you are behind this. Shame on you.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1