Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, October 29, 2021

Ideas Likely to Be DOA Part II

The idea of downtown "interests" moving thier under the bridge tent city problem out of the city and dumping a homeless encampment in an area of already significant blight within D1, in an area and neighborhood we have actively worked to clean up, with no notice and no communication?  Yeah, this brilliant idea is DOA..... 

Some ideas that get thrown out should die as soon as they escape someone's mouth.

Especially the dumb ones.  

Particularly the really ridiculously dumb ones.

I got blindsided on Tuesday of this past week with a frantic phone call that went a little something like this.  "Jeff, they're going to dump a homeless campground in your district!"

"What?!?  Who is---and where?"  was my response.

On Wednesday, the very next day, I asked administrator Wes Moreno about it.  He told me he hadn't heard anything about this and wasn't keen on the idea.  "I'll look into it to see what I can find out, but I am not aware of this--it's the first I'm hearing of it" he said.

Then between Wednesday and yesterday--my office received multiple angry phone calls from concerned residents on Houston Avenue in District 1.

I can assure you--there has been no coordination with the county on this "plan."  NO coordination/no communication.

We all care about folks that are down on their luck and find themselves in this predicament----but some effort must be given to thinking through the location of where to house potentially hundreds of homeless in tents.  Dumping this sort of an encampment in a neighborhood?

No, that's not going to fly.

An email I received on the topic, below, sums up the residents' fears and concerns.  The email's author also put's his finger on the jugular vein of the issue in short order:

"The proposal to move more homeless into the NEIGHBORHOOD does not seem to be a practical approach to clean up any  already blighted area.My heart goes out to any person or family that finds them self homeless.But by putting Downtown' problem onto other Neighborhoods isn't the way..There has got to be a better solution to this problem. I do not have an answer to Pensacola's homeless problem, but by moving Downtown's  problem to any neighborhood becomes someone else's problem. This can't be Pensacola's long term answer to the homeless problem. Let it remain Downtown's problem until there is a better more permanent solution. As for now bringing an unknown number of people into this area which is already stressed will be the wrong answer."


It is the wrong answer, it will be DOA....

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1