Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Monday, November 29, 2021

Big Decisions on Homeless Locally this Week?



The city council will be meeting this week to discuss the homeless situation in the city--particularly the homeless campsite under the I-110 bridge that the city is desperately seeking to clear.

Three options have been put out, and several entities have expressed "interest" in helping.

And there is over $3Million in federal funding in play to apply toward a long range solution and/or strategy to address the issue.

I've spoken to a city council representative, and I have spoken with several experts in this space.

I believe the city should take a step back and re-evaluate their next move(s) carefully.  I believe they should work together with the county on a solution.  Thus far--there has been no coordination.

So hopefully on Wednesday, the Pensacola City Council will press the pause button and bring in County staff to the discussion.  I would not be opposed to a joint meeting on this topic specifically.

But the idea of dumping the campsite in the county with no coordination, no permits, no notice-----yeah, that's not going to happen.  It only would have happened if folks just did it commando style--unlawfully without site approvals, permits, or required permissions.

I'm told that Pensacola/Escambia should consider doing what Okaloosa County is doing on this issue--I'm told their model is "working."

I'd like to know more about it--but I'm not opposed to looking at someone else's best practices that are successful.

But for my part, in my opinion, and for my vote----I think any such facility should be far away from suburbs and existing neighborhoods.  Build a facility out in the woods, far away from any residence, business, or suburban community. 

I also think we need to define what success looks like so that outcomes can be measured.  Touchy-feely feel good platitudes don't cut it.  I want to see numbers.  I want to see outcomes.  I want to know how folks measure success.

We also need to look at how such a facility for the homeless will be funded going forward so that any such concept can stand on it's own two feet and be viable with private support--not necessarily relying on the public sector for funding.

So there is much to be discussed, much to be worked out.  And there is no reason to rush.  Anyone can circle a date on a calendar and say "This will be gone by THIS date."

But as we have seen with respect to the I-110 campground, for example, often times these dates will slide to the right.  Significantly.  Particularly if they are poorly planned and hastily organized.

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1