Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Red Meat at the REC



I was invited to be the featured speaker at last night's meeting of the Escambia County Republican Executive Committee.

I began the speech with some of my background:  Where I lived, businesses I've owned, where I went to college, a little about my family, and a little about how I ended up on the school board.

Shortly after that, though, I went right into the red-meat issues that I feel are vitally important to fixing education--solving discipline issues, finding a way to unshackle our district from heavy-handed  big government mandates, and expanding wide-open school choice.

I was humbled by the great reception discussion of these issues elicited from the assembled crowd, particularly as it related to getting discipline under control and removing chronically disruptive, abusive, and often-times violent students.

"Some administrators worry about the learning that these chronically disruptive students will miss if they are removed from their classes, but I'm more concerned about the other 99% of students who are there to learn, I'm looking out for them" I stated to a nice mid-speech round of applause.

We also talked about ever-expanding pre-K programs being touted as "educational" programs, when in fact these are glorified jobs programs and entitlements.

We talked a lot about common core.

It was fun to cut loose in a room full of like-minded, conservative citizens;  I enjoyed the one-on-one conversations with many of the attendees after the event as well--I ended up staying until the venue closed and one conversation continued in the parking lot.

What an excellent night, and I'm very appreciative that the REC brought me out to speak, it was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1