Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Monday, July 26, 2021

Why the Hatred and Contempt for Folks?



Friday evening I was interviewed by Channel 3 about a situation along Brent Lane where there is a tremendous amount of homeless activity and resultant trash under the overpass at that particular location.

The question asked of me by the reporter (among many) was something like "As a commissioner, what do you think about all this homelessness?"  And my answer didn't make the edit for the 3 second soundbite they eventually used.  My answer was  "I want to help them, that's what I think!"

Sure, nobody likes the litter, it is unsightly.  But these are human beings we are talking about--the response should be let's find a way to help the ones that want to be helped and need a hand up.  I've informed staff about that location, and the state's contractor will be dispatched to clean it up--which will happen.

But that action is only treating a symptom of a larger problem.  

These folks, many of whom are military veterans, are down on their luck.  Many suffer from addiction issues.  Mental health issues untreated. Many have burned every bridge with every person who ever cared about them in their lives.

So where is the compassion?  Why the hatred, disdain, and scornful contempt for these folks that are down on their luck?

I was texted pictures by one constituent--asking what I was going to do about it.  I was emailed pictures and a request from another constituent that proclaimed   

"This is a disgrace to our community. The litter is out of control all over the city and county, thanks to the ever growing homeless population.  What an impression to leave on visitors to our beautiful area!"

So where is the compassion?  

I am thankful to folks like the Alfred Washburn center, The Waterfront Rescue Mission, and all of the other (primarily) Christian faith-based organizations who step up and try to help every day with no fanfare, self-adulation, or glory-seeking horn trumpeting about their work.  

It will always be a part of the human condition, poverty and homelessness--- it will never simply "go away."  

It's biblical.  Jesus said it himself in the book of Matthew "The poor you will always have with you..."

So where is the compassion?

11 comments:

M.M. said...

I’m not a Republican and while I don’t always agree with what you say on every topic, you’ve become my favorite commissioner recently because I really believe your heart is in the right place. I also have a lot of admiration for your wife and what she’s doing with Hope and Health clinic.

The hateful comments I’ve read about the homeless situation has made me realize there’s a much bigger problem here than the homeless population. We have a hate problem.

How dare those people be homeless? How dare them suffer from mental disorders and addiction? How dare them lose a hope and give up on life?

A Pastor said the below comment to D2 commissioner’s underhill’s wife in response to her comments on the situation. Comments from her that didn’t offer any solutions whatsoever. Just hate. What he said is spot on and applies to all of the people with hateful hearts.


“Wendy Kinton Underhill, why would I need to think about the arrogant remarks you made? Your self righteous attitude is fiendish. I don't pounce on anyone. I call you as you are. I'm not angry, nor is a nerve struck, you are not a big enough idea to spark any emotion above pity. I stand on what I said. Be careful how you judge others, especially those whom you feel are beneath you. God has a good way of humbling us. You may find yourself among the homeless whom you speak of or maybe worse. You should never speak of anyone's suffering as if you are better. Perhaps they are better than you, even in their misfortune.”

Anonymous said...

This comment makes my blood boil.


“ This is a disgrace to our community. The litter is out of control all over the city and county, thanks to the ever growing homeless population. What an impression to leave on visitors to our beautiful area!”

The REAL DISGRACE to our community is ignorant hateful people that haven’t taken the time to figure out why the homeless population is increasing, nor have they offered any help except to say “make homelessness illegal”.

I’m doing my part to help as are many others. The lack of compassion and hate is another pandemic we’re suffering from.

Anonymous said...

This…. You should never speak of anyone's suffering as if you are better. Perhaps they are better than you, even in their misfortune.

Anonymous said...

https://nola.gov/getattachment/Homelessness/Homeless-Services-Working-Group_-Ten-Year-Plan-to-End-Homelessness.pdf/?lang=en-US

Escambia county resident fed up with the hate said...

I’m so sick of all of the hate that’s spread by a handful of county residents. The email you received was posted on none other than Escambia county hate page to encourage more hatred towards the less advantaged. Shocking 🙄 They attack and try to ruin county employees, paramedics, 4 Commisioners, the new admin, private citizens, and now they’re attacking the homeless. That’s the go to page to spread hate and misery and everyone knows it.

The chronic complainers and haters should pry their hands off of their keyboard and go volunteer their time to help others instead of hating on them and judging. Or gather a group to clean up the trash your damn selves.

Some of us aren’t ruined by hate consuming our lives and actually have compassion for our fellow humans that have fallen on hard times.

J. Hansen said...

6:38, I saw the email post too.
The comments on two separate posts on Escambia citizens watch about the homelessness made me sick to my stomach. The homeless issue is a humanitarian issue, like the pandemic is. But instead of helping man kind, some people would rather degrade, judge, and humiliate them even more. It really saddens me that we live in a society of such cruel and malicious people. I sat with a homeless man recently downtown and he told me his story. It was fascinating but a very sad life story. I could see how easily it could happen to a lot of people if they were in his shoes. No one is above misfortune, addiction, mental illness, or losing your will to live.

Speaking of cruel and malicious people, Jacqueline Rogers, you reprimanded someone that was defending the homeless and accused her of maligning another. Do you hear your hypocritical self? How many people have you intentionally tried to ruin? I personally know two paramedics that can attest to your libelous horror show. I don’t know how you sleep at night after every round of careless shots you make at the expense of others, or your attempt to malign them, or the interrogating questioning you ask people you hate. If you saw yourself how others are starting to see you, your true colors, if you had an ounce of a conscience, you’d feel real shame that would keep you up at night. You don’t care who you hurt, or the family members that have broken down in tears after reading the vicious things that have been said. I’ll pray for you because you need a better direction.


Mr. Bergosh, someone above mentioned the work your wife does with the clinic for the indigent. Please let her know her devotion to help the welfare of others is deeply appreciated by many. Everyone that works with the clinic is really making a positive difference.


Anonymous said...

This may not seem civil but I pick up someone's else's litter in my yard almost everyday..Today I had to take 2 Tylenols, put on my back support, spray on mosquito repellant put on boots because of snakes and get the litter someone threw over my fence. Actually I wouldn't care if the person that keeps doing that meets an untimely death and never walks by here again.
As far as homeless, they live by their own choices.

Anonymous said...

Maybe its me but watching grown men cry on purpose for a congressional hearing today was utterly ridiculous propaganda b/s. I am so sick of this crying whining weak victim mentality. Pukeworthy. People were angry Jan 6 because of voter fraud! It was a mess but stop the theater..boo hoooo...

Toddlers can cry but grown ups are supposed to take responsibility for themselves. This country is sick.

Anonymous said...

http://www.northescambia.com/2021/07/al-sheriff-says-if-you-litter-he-wants-you-sentenced-to-pickup-trash-for-40-hours

"The sheriff of Escambia County, Alabama, says if you are caught littering on a public road in his county, he’ll ask the judge to sentence you to pick up roadside trash."

Anonymous said...

There’s an elderly woman on 9th Ave across from the fire station by the airport (I think it’s station 6), and she’s sitting in a lawn chair on the side of the road by herself with all of her possessions. I couldn’t stop because I was on my way to work, but I’m going to when I get off to see if she needs anything. I think she might need a social worker to go talk to her. She may be suffering from mental illness.

Anonymous said...

913 sweet
How did it go? Yes I don't really ride by any of that unless I have to go to the south end of Escambia County which is about once this past year.

I read your blog and enjoy the relatively small comment section. People like stories to make things more personal but social media has devolved so much. Where do we go from here?

We looked over our privacy fence wondering why the one guy in the shed was suddenly surrounded by about five other guys riding bicycles who went in out and in and out the shed behind the business apparently disturbing the one guy we had seen there a few days. We saw him at the dumpster behind the grocery store. We see from our windows.

Long story short. They were preying upon him. The one person who had enough connection to be allowed to run an extension cord by a family member and let the guy do his best was preyed on by the next dudes up the food chain.

Honestly, he left, they put a pad lock on the shed, and I don't know where the other guy went. Perhaps somewhere better. We asked a few questions from the owner of the business because .. Well we did. I don't care if someone camps out there..

On another note..

We donated to the red cross, some other various charities.. That's all we did. I have other stories and concerns.

Personally in our own life we have demonstrated what could be called TOUGH LOVE. With no regrets...for long.. took a while to get there.

Self preservation is really the first step. If you don't take care of yourself you have nothing left to share.

I think the country has not pushed that message enough and has devolved into not holding ones to a high standard and that they are to be responsible for their own choices. NO EXCUSES.


World view.

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1