Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Monday, March 23, 2020

What About Fishing, Though?

As the beaches are now temporarily closed, many who don't own boats wonder if they can still fish?

It is a good question, so I asked it and was told the decision to keep the Pensacola Beach fishing pier open or not open was up to the operator of that facility.

It was open for business this weekend, and I am told business was good, with many anglers coming out and with Cobia and Pompano now running.

But as these pictures sent to me by a friend illustrate---the crowds in some instances were not following the social distancing guidelines.



A fortunate Angler caught this
60 pound Cobia earlier this month
from the  Pensacola Beach Fishing
Pier


I have been asked by a constituent a different question now....Can we surf fish from the shore?

As all the public beaches are closed, I don't see how that is possible unless one knows someone on Perdido Key that owns private beachfront property.

I would like to go fishing again at the beach.  I am hoping, now that spring break is nearing an end, that fishermen  (like me) can once again go to the beach and fish from the surf and sand.  We can do it responsibly and we can do it maintaining "social distancing."

At our meeting on April 2nd I am going to ask this question.  It is a reasonable one to ask.

And the Pompano are running.....and the Cobia.....


No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1