Guidelines

I am one member of a five person board. The opinions I express on this forum are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Escambia County Staff, Administrators, Employees, or anyone else associated with Escambia County Florida. I am interested in establishing this blog as a means of additional transparency to the public, outreach to the community, and information dissemination to all who choose to look. Feedback is welcome, but because public participation is equally encouraged, appropriate language and decorum is mandatory. Although this is not my campaign site for re-election--sometimes campaign related information will be discussed, therefore in an abundance of caution I add the following : Political Advertisement Paid for and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican, for Escambia County Commissioner District 1








Friday, February 26, 2021

Was the Meeting Noticed Properly?

 

There was a hastily-arranged "town hall" announced this week.  There will be multiple commissioners on the call and an issue that WILL come before the board will be discussed.  Was the meeting noticed properly, though?


Although I believe it is premature and didn't necessarily feel it was warranted yet, before the BCC workshopped the latest DPZ hybrid plan for OLF-8, a "Town Hall" online has been scheduled for next Tuesday afternoon by DPZ Co-Design.

This potential town hall was mentioned at our recent meeting---but again--- I did not know it was a firm, absolute "go" until late Wednesday afternoon.  Thursday, I had my aide Debbie Kenney sign me up online to participate---which I intend on doing.  Participating, interacting, and speaking.

Because although I recognize the current iteration for the OLF-8 field is much better than previous renditions----I still think it needs a lot of work and a lot of massaging to get it just right.  It's not like this is the last and final plan--regardless of who was in a special last minute meeting to cobble it together.  It did not come off the mountain on tablets inscribed by fire and lightning bolts from heaven....

So although I don't think it is ready for primetime and the "town-hall" is premature--I will participate.

But wait--what if my counterparts want to as well?  From the meeting comments and other things I have heard from other sources--it's my understanding at least one or two of my counterparts will be on the livestream townhall as well.

And that is where I think this knee-jerk, hastily called town hall may put us in hot water if we are not careful.  Although this is not a meeting of the board---if one or more board members speak on this land-use  issue at this special "OLF-8 Town hall" meeting (and this is OBVIOUSLY something that will come before the board for a vote)--if NOT properly advertised--- this could potentially be considered a meeting out of the sunshine.  I don't want that to happen.  I am going to speak, and I don't necessarily want my peers precluded from doing likewise.

So in a few hours when everyone wakes up, I'll send an email and find out.  I hope this event was properly noticed, with a 7-day ad.

Otherwise, if it wasn't, it would probably be wise to advertise it properly to a different date.

We'll see though, maybe DPZ and the county team did, in fact, already advertise it.  IF so, no big deal.  See ya Tuesday at the townhall!

No comments:

Political Advertisement Paid For and Approved by Jeff Bergosh, Republican for Escambia Commission D1